Aluminium is one of the most preferred metals for garage doors as it is long-lasting and enduring but also lighter than steel or other hard metals.
In this article, we’ll be looking at the advantages versus the disadvantages of aluminium garage doors.
- Even though it is a sturdy material, it is not heavy, unlike other materials. The different sections are easy to install due to their lightness, and it provides a long-lasting effect since the strain on the springs and tracks are minimal.
- This material is a lot less susceptible to corrosion and rust as it forms a protective layer that prevents corrosives or oxidation to get in. This affects the longevity of the garage doors when you are living in coastal or moisture-prone areas.
- Aluminium provides better styling options due to its lightness as it is much easier to design or emboss.
- It has weather resistant capabilities.
- It is helpful for energy saving.
- It provides adequate protection against harsh elements.
- A powder coating can be added to retain its finish while extending the lifespan of the barrier.
- The shutters are driven by a motor an easily maneuverable.
- Aluminium doors don’t require maximum maintenance and are super easy to clean.
- They provide excellent protection against break-ins.
- They offer added value to your property and enhance the overall appearance of your home.
- They are versatile and can be used for passages, window enclosures (for holiday home lock-up), patios and front doors.
- Because of its lightness, aluminium doors cannot withstand hits like for instance steel doors.
- Harsh Summers can affect the toughness of the material since it becomes more flexible with heat.
Make sure you consult with a qualified Garage Doors Perth agent about any related questions that you need to be answered.
- The panels are available in a great selection of different materials and designs.
- You can select a frame finish in either 15 or 25 microns.
- The doors have aluminium tracks which are ideal for areas containing salt or moist.
- The aluminum has a built-in truss frame (BIT)
Can Paint Be Applied To Aluminium?
Painting aluminum is a fairly simple procedure when the right steps are followed during the preparation phase. After cleaning the surface, an oil-based primer should be applied and then a hundred percent exterior acrylic latex paint coat. Making use of a latex primer can result in the paint peeling at a later stage or a chemical reaction can result in gas bubbles forming underneath the paint surface. By using the correct materials, you’ll avoid incurring future repair expenditure.
- A pressure washer can be used but be careful not to use high pressure on aluminium siding, and no spraying should be done underneath the siding.
- Mildew can be removed by adding a touch of household bleach to the cleaning agent.
- For heavy duty, Trisodium phosphate (TSP) can get the job done.
- Special precautions
- No cleaning materials containing ammonia should be used as it can result in a chemical reaction to the aluminium.
- Always be mindful of wearing rubber gloves when using TSP and a protective mask when spray painting.
- Avoid spray painting your doors on a windy day.